4 tbsp Soy Sauce
80 ml White Wine Vinegar
1 large [zest and juice] Lime
1 large clove of Garlic
1 tbsp Ginger
1 tbsp brown Sugar
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
Banh mi contents
2 tins of Jackfruit
1 large French Baguette
6 tbsp vegan Mayonaise
2 [thinly sliced] Carrot
1/2 [sliced] Cucumber
[click for recipe] Pink Onions
Vegan Banh Mi – Pulled ‘Pork’ Jackfruit
Check out my whole food vegan banh mi recipe below!
This jackfruit banh mi sandwich is perfect for dinner and lunches taking no time at all to make!
My Vietnamese sandwich is a take on the classic baguette that originally consists of slow-cooked pork belly (recipe).
These beautiful veggie nuggets of joy come with sliced vegetables, easy sriracha mayonnaise, pink pickled onions in a fresh french baguette.
It’s super simple to put together and if you love the taste of Vietnam, you will enjoy having this vegan Banh mi recipe hot dinner or cold for lunch.
Get creative with your sandwich and add the vegetables you enjoy eating. I would also recommend as a jackfruit alternative, aubergine, courgette or peppers.
You can now easily buy jackfruit online or in most UK supermarkets in the world section or Asain shops in most major cities.
I order mine using Amazon prime as it saves me hunting around the shops.
TIP: If you buy it from a tin, give it a good rinse with cold water and let it drain in a colander before using it in recipes to remove the brine taste. Then marinate it in your desired sauce and let it soak for 30 minutes or longer in the fridge.
Jackfruit is like the sponge and it will pull the flavours to the centre of each piece, making your vegan banh mi super tasty!
What is Jackfruit?
- Jackfruit grows in tropical areas of Southeast Asia, Brazil and Africa.
- While it is technically a fruit, its consistency is similar to that of chicken or pork.
- This shouldn’t be used as a source of protein as a 75 gram serving has just 1 gram of protein. You can get your plant-based protein fix from Lentils, Chickpeas and Nuts.
I hope you found this vegan banh mi recipe super tasty.
Please leave a review or feedback on what you thought of it!
5 Easy Steps
1. Drain and rinse the jackfruit in cold water to remove the brine. Place all the ingredients for the "marinade" in a blender along with the coriander stalks (not leaves) and blitz!
2. Pour this over the jackfruit chunks and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. If you are super organised, you can marinate it overnight.
3. Next, with a sharp knife or a mandoline, slices the carrot, cucumber and onions. This is optional but I highly recommend making my pink pickled onions! Search for 'Pink Onions' for the full recipe. This will only take 7 minutes!
4. Crank the heat right up on your non-stick frying pan and add a tablespoon of oil. Scoop the jackfruit out of the marinade into a pan and cook for 10 minutes or until it starts to crispen. TIP: keep adding the remaining marinade to intense the flavour of the jackfruit but save some for the killer mayo sauce by adding it along with the sriracha sauce.
5. Finally, slice the baguette (I like to warm mine up for 5 mins) and build your Banh Mi. Start with the killer mayo, vegetables, jackfruit chunks, more mayo, pink onions and coriander leaves.
BIFF, BOSH, VEGAN VIET NOSH!