2 medium [sliced] Red Onion
200ml cider/apple Vinegar
3 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Saltkosher is the best salt to use
For Extra Flavour
1 stick of Cinnamon1/2 tsp of dry cinnamon
1 tsp dried flakes Chilli
4 whole Cloves1/4 tsp of dry clove
How To Make Pink Pickled Onions
My homemade pink pickled onions are the perfect partner for many spiced recipes (Mexican Lasange) or an edible gift in a homemade hamper.
You will kick yourself when you realise how easy and quick it is to make your own pickled onions, or as I like to call them… Pinkled Onions.
Seriously, all you need is sliced red onions, a vinegar, some salt and a bit of sugar. It only takes 10 minutes to make but I would give it 1 hour before they are good to eat. The longer you leave them, the better the flavour.
Are you ready for a tasty 10 minutes? Trust me, you won’t get in a pickle.
Top 3 Pickled Tips
- Pickling is one of the oldest methods of food preservation and has great benefits of improving digestion
- The traditional way of pickled food uses ingredients such as salt, oil, and dry chilli powder mixed with condiments.
- My pink pickled onions go perfectly with spiced dishes, especially Mexican cuisine
1. Add sliced onions (I like to use a mandolin) to a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over so they are covered. Count to 15 seconds and then drain. Add the onions to a glass jar or Tupperware box. It must have a lid.
2. For Extra Flavour: In a dry small saucepan over a medium heat, toast the cinnamon stick, whole cloves and the dried chilli flakes until fragrant 2-3 minutes (make sure you don't burn them!). If you want to keep it simple, skip to step 3 below.
3. Add the vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a simmer in the small saucepan, until the sugar has all dissolved - 2 minutes.
4. Add the liquid to the onion and let stand at room temperature until cooled. Then cover and pop in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
BIFF, BOSH, PICKLED NOSH!