2 medium [sliced] Red Onion
200ml white/cider Vinegar
100ml Boiling water
2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Salt
10 Whole Black Pepper
1 lime [juiced] Limetake a slice and add it to your jar
How To Make Pink Onions
My homemade pickled pink onions are the perfect partner for salads, tacos, sandwiches, burgers, curries, chilli con carne and so much more!
By adding these little beauties to your next dish, you will easily bring a splash of colour to your next Instagram food photo!
You will kick yourself when you realise how easy and quick it is to make your own pink onions.
Seriously, all you need is sliced red onions, vinegar, salt and a sprinkle of sugar. It only takes 7 minutes to make but I would give it 1 hour before they are good to eat. They can last 2 weeks in your fridge.
Here are some recipes that are great with pickled pink onions:
- Mexican Lasagne
- Moroccan Wrap
- 20-minute Cauliflower Roasted Salad (v)
- Beef Brisket Chilli Con Carne
- Lime Chicken and Avocado Salad
Are you ready for a tasty 7 minutes? Trust me, you won’t get in a pickle.
Top 3 Pickled Tips
- Pickling is one of the oldest methods of food preservation and has great benefits for improving digestion.
- The traditional way of pickled food uses ingredients such as salt, oil, and dry chilli powder mixed with condiments.
- My pink pickled onions are a good source of vitamin C and low in calories.
1. Add sliced onions (I like to use a mandoline) to a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over so they are covered for 20-30 seconds and then drain. This is to remove the bitterness and to soften the raw onion crunch. Add the onions to a well-cleaned/serialized glass jar or tupperware box with a lid.
2. Add the vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil in the small saucepan on a medium-high heat, until the sugar has all dissolved (2/3 minutes).
3. Add the liquid to the onion follow by the lime juice and let stand at room temperature until cooled. Cover and pop in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
BIFF, BOSH, PICKLED NOSH!