2 medium [sliced] Red Onion
200ml white/cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Salt
10 Black Pepper
1 lime [juiced] Limetake a slice and add it to your jar
How To Make Pink Pickled Onions?
My homemade pink pickled onions are the perfect partner for salads, tacos, sandwiches, burgers, curries, chilli con carne and so much more!
By adding these little beauties to your next dish, you will easily bring a splash of colour to your next Instagram food photo!
You will kick yourself when you realise how easy and quick it is to make your own pink onions.
Seriously, all you need is sliced red onions, vinegar, salt and a sprinkle of sugar.
It only takes 7 minutes to make but I would give it 1 hour before they are good to eat and they will last months in an airtight container in the fridge. I would recommend a large jar like this and also to get yourself a mandoline, this will save you time and effort when it comes to slicing the onion.
Here are some recipes that are great with pickled pink onions:
- Mexican Lasagne
- Moroccan Wrap
- 20-minute Cauliflower Roasted Salad (v)
- Beef Brisket Chilli Con Carne
- Lime Chicken and Avocado Salad
Also, this is a good time to try a range of different pickle flavours. Here are my top 3.
- Black pepper, dried chilli flakes and cardamom pods (summer vibes)
- Chilli, clove and cinnamon stick (winter feel)
- Mustard seeds, black pepper and dill (the classic)
Are you ready for a tasty 7 minutes? Trust me, you won’t get in a ‘pickle’.
Top 3 Pickle Tips
- Pickling is one of the oldest methods of food preservation and has great benefits for improving digestion.
- The traditional way of pickled food uses ingredients such as salt, oil, and dry chilli powder mixed with condiments.
- My pink pickled onions are a good source of vitamin C and low in calories.
1. Add the sliced onions to a well-cleaned/sterilised glass jar or Tupperware box with a lid.
2. Add the vinegar, peppercorn (or spices of your choice) sugar and salt and bring to a boil in the small saucepan on medium-high heat, until the sugar has all dissolved (2/3 minutes).
3. Add the liquid to the onion follow by the lime juice and let stand at room temperature until cooled. Cover and pop in the fridge for up to 3/4 weeks.
BIFF, BOSH, PICKLED NOSH!