- 3 large Eggs
- 180g self-raising Flour
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 180g softened Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 5 tbsp water
- 150ml Double Cream
- 180g dark Chocolate
- 3 tsp Espresso
- Handful of Walnuts
Mocha and Walnut Cake
My Mocha and Walnut Cake is simply a moist chocolate cake with a sweet coffee coating, topped with crushed walnuts. It’s quick, it’s simple and it’s damn tasty!
I am not much of a baker but I do love a piece of cake. It would be great to hear your feedback.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. With a whisk in a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, cocoa powder, water and baking powder until smooth.
3. Grab your 2 x 17cm (7 in) deep sandwich tins, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper and add the mixture evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 mins. Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin, then turn on to a wire rack to become completely cold before icing.
1. Get a pan of boiling water on a low heat, using 20ml of the water to make the espresso. Add the cream, espresso and chocolate to a glass bowl and place it over the saucepan to slowly melt...or you can cheat and place it in the microwave for 1 min BUT make sure it is as 600w.
2. Once melted, set aside to cool a little and to thicken up.
3. Now the cake and icing is cool, its time to build it. Spread half of the ganache icing on the top of one of the cake, then lay the other cake on top, sandwiching them together. This is optional, but I like to add more cream to the other half of the ganache icing to loosen it up and then drizzle over the top of the cake.
4. Finish with crushed walnuts and serve!
BIFF, BOSH, NOSH!