- 4 large [halved] Auberginehalf lengthwise keeping the stalk on
- 4 tsp Sesame Oiluse sesame oil for maximum flavour!
- 3 tbsp Miso Pastesold in most supermarkets or online
- 3 tbsp HoneyAgave nectar for vegan alternative
- 3 [sliced] Spring Onion
- 2 [finely sliced] Red Chilli
- 2 [zest and juice] Limeroll the lime before juicing for more lime juice
Miso and Honey Roasted Aubergine
If you are looking for a quick and delicious vegetarian mid-week dinner recipe, my simple miso and honey roasted aubergine recipe is the one for you!
The miso and honey make the aubergine deliciously sweet and sticky as well as full of umami flavour. Thanks to Oddbox for supplying me with your wonky aubergines to use for this recipe #zerofoodwaste
TIP: Give yourself 30 minutes to marinade the aubergines for the maximum flavour before roasting.
Give it a try this week and leave a comment on what you think of it? Did I miss anything out?
What is Umami?
Umami is one of the five basic tastes (sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness). A loanword from the Japanese, umami can be translated as “pleasant savoury taste”.
Top 3 Aubergine Facts
- It’s a fruit, not a vegetable: Well, it’s a berry, just like blueberries, watermelon, or tomatoes, basically any veggies that contain seeds.
- Other names: Aubergine ??, Brinjal ??, Berenjena ??, Eggplant ??, Patlican ??, Melanzana ??.
- Storage: Aubergines are best stored in a cool place, outside the fridge.
Looking for more aubergine recipes? Try my 30-minute veggie reman recipe!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6. In a bowl, add the miso, lime juice and zest, honey, oil and 2 tbsp of boiling water and mix. This is your marinade.
2. Slice the aubergine in half lengthwise keeping the stalk on, then score the white flesh with a knife going down 3/4 of the way. Make quick diagonal cuts about an inch apart and do the same with the others.
3. Brush on the marinade and roast for 20 minutes. While it's cooking, chop the coriander, chilli and spring onion. Now would be the best time to cook your rice too.
4. Remove from the oven and add another layer of marinated and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Remove again adding the final load of the marinade and cook until sticky and dark (5-10 minutes).
Serve with fluffy white rice and chopped chilli, spring onion and coriander.
BIFF, BOSH, UMAMI NOSH!