400g short pasta Pasta
2 small [diced] Onions
1 [minced] Garlic
300g mature chedder Cheese
1 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
200g lardons / Bacon
2 tbsp Breadcrumbs
Easy baked mac and cheese
If you are looking for a delicious, simple and quick mac and cheese recipe, you have come to the right place!
This creamy recipe will only take you 30 minutes to make with under 10 key ingredients.
Don’t worry if you don’t have macaroni pasta, any short pasta will do the job.
Treat yourself to 4 of these mini cast iron pots to server your killer mac n cheese!
If you love this recipe, you will also enjoy my Austrian ski food favourite dish, Kasespatzle; the macaroni & cheese of Austria. Take a look and give it a try.
4 ways to pimp up your Macaroni Cheese
- Give it a wow factor – use any meat or veggie-based leftovers as a topping. e.g. I use leftover Jackfruit from my Banh mi recipe
- Give it a crunch! – use stale bread, polenta, crips or cereal on top of your killer macaroni cheese.
- Give it a creamy texture – try a baked mac n cheese recipe with cream cheese will increase the calories but it will also increase the creaminess and really wow your friends.
- Give it a regional taste – add pre-mixed spices to your macaroni cheese such as the taste of India or Moroccan infusion
1. Pop the full kettle on and once boiled, add to a saucepan on a high heat along with the pasta and stir well. You will want to cook this for 3 minutes less than the pack says so it has a firm bite but NOT crunchy.
2. Add a splash of oil on a medium heat in a second saucepan followed by the chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes. If you have any chorizo or bacon, you can add this in now. Then add in the chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. While the onions are cooking, now is a good time to turn on the grill. If you don't have a grill, turn your oven on at 200c.
4. Remove the onion mix from the saucepan and into a bowl for now. In the same saucepan (do not wash), add the butter and wait until it melts. Then add the flour and combine well with a wooden spoon or whisk. Once combined, add a quarter of the milk in and stir continuously. Once all the milk is in and you have a lump-free sauce, simmer for 5 mins, whisking all the time until thickened.
5. Once the pasta is ready, drain but do NOT wash the pasta as it helps the sauce hold on each pasta piece) and combine the pasta, sauce, half the grated cheese, mustard, seasoning and cooked onions together.
6. Now, pour the mixture in your pots or large square tray and pack well. Then top with grated cheese, breadcrumbs and black pepper. Place under the grill or in the oven until golden brown!
Serve up with a garden salad, and IF you have any leftovers, you can freeze for next time.
BIFF, BOSH, SIMPLE NOSH!