6 large Eggs
200g Plain Flour
Dusting of Icing SugarFor the topping
2 tbsp Raisins
1 tbsp Sugar
Pot of Fruit JamTry a plum, apple or berry jam.
Kaiserschmarrn? What’s That?
Kaiserschmarrn is merely a thick, fluffy pancake, roughly chopped, coated in icing sugar and served with local jams such as plum or apple.
Kaiserschmarrn is an Austrian ski food classic, which you cannot miss!
I first had them when I was skiing In Kaprun in 2010 and then again when I was doing my ski season in St Anton, where I would make them for my guests as a dessert treat.
Now, it is your turn to create them and enjoy a piece of heaven in your own home.
Try them this weekend and let me know what you think with a comment below.
My top 3 Austrian Ski Recipes
- Tiroler Grostl – This bacon, onion and potato fry-up is a real Alpine filler and tastes awesome with a cheeky fried egg, fresh garden salad and sauerkraut.
- Käsespätzle– Austrian Mac & Cheese, you must try this at home!
- Ultimate Austrian Ski Food Guide – It’s hard to pick a final recipe, so you will want to pick one for yourself.
1. First, separate the eggs yolks and whites and beat the whites (electric whisk) with a small pinch of salt until it forms a firm peak. Add the egg yolks to another mixing bowl with the milk, sugar and flour and mix to form a smooth dough (not like a normal pancake batter, this should be thicker). If you want extra flavour, add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. Fold in the egg whites in the batter rest and for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat a knob of butter over a low heat in a deep non-stick pan and pour in around half of the batter so it's about 3cm deep. Sprinkle the raisins evenly in the frying pan. Heat for 4 minutes until the batter has risen and the underside is lightly browned.
3. Flip the pancake and cook the other side for 4 minutes. Repeat the same process with the rest of the batter.
4. Roughly chop the Kaiserschmarrn and dust with lots of icing sugar (and cinnamon if you have it). Serve warm (not hot) with an apple jam or fruit jam. Don't inhale too quickly as you will choke on the icing sugar hehe.
BIFF, BOSH, AUSTRIAN NOSH!