- 6-8 goat Sausages
- 400g Rigatoni Pasta
- 1 medium [finely chopped] Red Onion
- 1 medium [finely chopped] Carrot
- 1 medium [sliced in rings] Courgette
- 4 cloves of [finely chopped] Garlic
- 8 Sun Dried TomatoesKeep the oil to cook with
- 1/2 [juice] Lemon
- 1 tsp [dried or fresh] Rosemary
- 1 Tinned Chopped Tomatoesor 300g of passata
- 1 tsb of harissa Paste
- 240g [1 tin] Butterbeans
My Goat Sausage Ragu Recipe
Now, I know goat sausages are not easy to get from the shops to make my goat sausage ragu, so just use normal thick butcher ones instead.
Don’t go for cheap ones, treat yourself and the flavours will treat you. If you can get goat sausages, expect a rich, gamey flavour to your ragu.
Goat meat is a lean, healthy protein with less overall fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than other red meats, which makes it a healthier option (Livestrong, 2019)
I was lucky enough to get this goat meat from a farm in East Devon where I also buy Goat shoulder for my Morrocan wrap and goat tacos in my food van.
These flavours will take you to North Africa with the gamey goat meat and harissa infused sauce but still keeping it’s simple and original roots from Italy.
Plant-based version – Replace the sausage with oyster mushrooms or Heck veggie sausages and sprinkle Engevita Yeast Flakes over the top.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200c and prep your veg - chopped your ONION, GARLIC, CARROT and COURGETTE.
2. In a deep oven tray, place the SAUSAGES and a drizzle of the SUN DRIED TOMATO OIL - cook for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the sausages from the oven and place in a bowl and then add the ONION, GARLIC, CARROT and COURGETTE and cook at 200c for 10 minutes. Cut your sausages into bite-size chunks.
4. Then add the TOMATOES, LEMON JUICE, HARISSA, BUTTERBEANS, HERBS, SUN DRIED TOMATOES, SAUSAGE CHUNKS, SALT and PEPPER. Give it a good mix and put back in the oven for 30 minutes at 200c.
TIP - if you have time, drop the temperature to 180c and cook for 1 hour.
5. While that is cooking, cook your PASTA in salty water until al dente (8-10 minutes), keep a mug of the pasta water and drain the PASTA.
6. Now, combine the PASTA with the SAUSAGE RAGU in a big bowl and serve up with a rocket salad, shavings of parmesan and lots of black pepper.
BIFF, BOSH, SAUSAGE NOSH.