- 1kg Whole Chicken
- 6 ready rolled sheets of Filo Pastry
- 1 large sliced Leek
- 200g MushroomsI use closed cup white mushrooms
- 2 finely chopped Garlic
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Splash of Olive OilDrizzle over the chicken and chicken pie
- 1 tbsp Pine NutsOptional but worth treating yourself with
- 80g Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 80g Plain Flour
- 800ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vegetable StockI recommend getting bouillon, It is healthier and tastier than OX cubes
Easy Homemade Chicken Pie
When it comes to homemade cooking, Grandma always knows best. My favourite meal was always her easy homemade chicken pie with filo pastry.
This is the perfect Sunday dinner recipe to impress your housemates and family.
I promise you this, if you follow the recipe and ingredients correctly you will discover a new way to enjoy a chicken pie that is healthier and cheaper to make.
Don’t use chicken breast! Yes, it’s quicker and easier to cook with but it’s way more expensive and offers less flavour in the meat. Good things come to those who … Roast!
Looking for more chicken recipe inspiration?
Leave a review on what you think.
Top 3 Filo Pastry Facts
- Paper-thin translucent sheets of pastry commonly used in Greek, Eastern European and Middle Eastern cuisines.
- Filo pastry has a huge health advantage because there is no fat in the mix.
- Make sure the filo pasty sheets have the minimal amount of time in contact with air to prevent it drying out. Keep it in its packaging until you need it.
1. Preheat the oven at 200c then cook the chicken for 60 minutes or until the juices are clear from the chicken.
2. Meanwhile, slice the leeks, garlic, mushrooms ready for the pie and cooked them in a small saucepan with a small knob of butter until soft.
3. Then grease a large oven dish (30x20cm) with a splash of olive oil and add 2 layers of the filo pastry sheets overlapping the sides to create the base. Put to one side as this will be used in the "Finish It" step.
1. To make the white sauce, simply melt 80g butter in a saucepan over a medium-low heat.
2. Once melted, stir in the flour with a whisk until it makes a paste-like mixture.
3. Now here is the "make or break part"... Whisk in around 1/4 of the milk stirring continuously until it starts to thicken, then add in the second 1/4 of milk and repeat until you have a thick white sauce.
4. Remove from the heat and add seasoning, stock, mustard and oregano.
1. Once you are happy with the chicken, remove from the oven and leave to cool. To speed up the cooling process, use a knife to slice the chicken into parts to allow the heat to leave the breast and leg areas.
2. Once cooled enough, use your hands to remove the chicken skin to one side and pull apart the chicken into bite size pieces.
3. Then evenly place the cooked chicken, vegetables and white sauce into the pie dish.
1. Finish by placing the remaining 4 layers of filo pastry on top of the filled pie dish, folding in the hanging foil on top of the chicken mixture and grease with oil. Make sure the top is rough and uneven as this will give the extra crispy topping.
2. Drizzle with oil and seasoning and cook for approximately 45mins on 190c, or until golden brown.
3. Add the pine nuts and extra oregano 10 minutes before the end.
Finally, serve up hot with a side of steamed vegetables, garden salad and potatoes.
BIFF, BOSH, MY GRAN'S NOSH!