- 2 [toasted] Hot Cross Buns
- 1 large [smashed] Avocado
- 4 streaky Bacon
- 1 [juiced] Lime
- 1/2 [sliced] Red Chilli
- Sprinkle of fresh [chopped] Mint
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
Bacon Smashed Avocado Hot Cross Bun
Trust me on this one, my bacon smashed avocado hot cross bun is a refreshing and healthy(ish) Spring Sunday brunch. Creamy avocado, salty feta cheese, spicy chilli, crispy bacon and refreshing chopped mint in a sweet and crunchy hot cross bun!
I came up with this idea when I fancied a healthy topping on my hot cross bun at 10 am on a Saturday morning. Oh, and it didn’t disappoint!
Give it a go this weekend and leave a comment on what you think. I feel it’s going to be a bit of a marmite debate.
Top 3 Hot Cross Bun Facts
- In Tudor Britain, it was illegal to sell spiced buns on any other day than Good Friday, Christmas and funerals (Wikipedia).
- Spices including cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Some older recipes used saffron and mace.
- Today it is still considered good luck to hang one above your door on Good Friday.
1. Preheat the oven at 200c. Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes each side or until crispy. When you turn over the bacon add the hot cross buns as it will soak up the leftover juices and go crispy.
2. In a bowl, add the avocado, lime juice, seasoning (extra black pepper) and half of the chopped chillies and smash with a fork until your desired consistency.
3. Finally, stack the smashed avocado and crispy bacon to the toasted hot cross bun and top with feta cheese, chopped mint and black pepper. Serve warm and enjoy!
BIFF, BOSH, BRUNCH NOSH!