- 2 [toasted] Hot Cross Buns
- 4 Streaky [grilled] BaconUnsmoked
- 2 free range [poached] Eggs
- 2 slices of blue CheeseOptional
Bacon, Egg and Blue Cheese Toasted Hot Cross Bun
What is there not to love about a bacon, egg and blue cheese toasted hot cross bun?!
Crispy bacon strips, poached free range egg, toasted hot cross bun with grilled blue cheese. Build it, bite it and listen out for the crunch from the bacon and splat from the egg yolk hitting your plate.
Looking for other crazy ways to eat a hot cross bun?
Caution: Only have once a week. This recipe is highly addictive and can cause love handles!
Top 3 Hot Cross Bun Facts
- In Tudor Britain, it was illegal to sell spiced buns on any other day than Good Friday, Christmas and funerals (Wikipedia).
- Spices including cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Some older recipes used saffron and mace.
- Today it is still considered good luck to hang one above your door on Good Friday.
1. Turn the grill on and boil a small saucepan of water. Place your bacon on an oven tray seasoned with black pepper, half the hot cross buns and slice enough blue cheese to cover one side of the hot cross bun.
2. Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes each side or until crispy. When you turn over the bacon add the hot cross buns and grill the blue cheese.
3. Reduce the boiling water to a simmer and carefully place your eggs in and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Once cooked, build your sandwich and enjoy!
BIFF, BOSH, EASTER NOSH!