Jerk Chicken Thigh Recipe – Easy & Authentic
£2.95 per portion
- 1) Jerk Marinade
- 1.5 kg Thigh Pieces ofChicken
- 4 peeledGarlic
- (Or garlic paste)
- 1 inchGinger
- (Or ginger paste)
- 4 Zest and JuiceLime
- 1 tbsp BrownSugar
- 1 tbsp groundAllspice
- 1 tbsp driedThyme
- 0.5 tsp groundCinnamon
- 3 tbspSoy Sauce
- 1 wholeChilli
- 0.5 tsp groundNutmeg
- 2) Rice & Peas
- 200 gRice
- 400 g (1 tin)Kidney Beans
- 1 tspThyme
- 1 [minced] clove ofGarlic
- 1 [diced]Onions
- 400 g (1 tin)Coconut Milk
- Calories: 656 kcal
- Protein: 38 g
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbs: 48 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Salt: 2 g
with rice and peas and pineapple salsa.
200°C oven temperature.
- 1Jerk Chicken Marinade
1. In a food processor, add the garlic, ginger, lime juice, sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, soy sauce, chilli (remove the seeds to reduce the heat), seasoning and nutmeg. Blitz it all in the blender until it is a rough paste. It should be liquid enough to drop from a spoon. Add the juice of another lime or about a tablespoon of water if it’s too dry.
Say hello to your jerk marinade! This can be kept in the fridge for 5 days or frozen for 3 months.
2. Slice three cuts in the skin of each chicken thigh to speed up the cooking and to allow the marinade to get under the skin. Pour about 3/4 of the marinade over them all and toss well. Keep the remaining marinade in a pot for later on.
Marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge for the best result or if you forgot.... 20 minutes in the fridge will have to do.
3. Then, cook the thigh pieces for 30 minutes on medium heat in a large pan with a lid. Once cooked, remove the lid and add the remaining marinade and stir well on medium-low heat. This can slow cook away while you work on the rest of the dish!
- 2Rice & Peas
1. In a medium-size saucepan with a lid, add the kidney beans (including the liquid), coconut milk, onion, garlic, thyme & seasoning. Add 400ml of water, stir through & then bring to the boil.
2. Then, rinse the rice in a sieve until the water runs clear (4/5 times should do it). Once the Coconut Milk has reached boiling point add the rice, combine well and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- 3Side Salads
I would recommend making a quick cabbage slaw by thinly slicing a red cabbage and add pineapple, black pepper and mint.
Once the rice is cooked, place the chicken on top with your side salad and enjoy with a cold Red Stripe!
BIFF, BOSH, WAGWAN NOSH!
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thigh Recipe
My Jamaican Jerk Chicken is one of my best selling recipes down in Croyde. I have taken the authentic recipe and made it easy for you to make at home!
I know the ingredient list might look big at first, but I promise you… once you have made this, it’s so easy to replicate over and over again!
Now, Jerk chicken is meant to be spicy. For me, if your nose isn’t running while eating it or you’re not reaching for your ginger beer, then you need more spice.
However, I do understand that not everyone loves spicy food as much as I do, but that’s fine. You can still experience the true flavour of Jerk Chicken from the allspice, cinnamon and scotch bonnet peppers of the Jamaican authentic taste.
You can buy a delicious marinate which will save you time and effort. If this is the case, I recommend this one buying Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
The tiny village perched above Ocho Rios is home to Walkerswood Caribbean Foods, a small production facility wrapped in the pungent aroma of black pepper, scallions and Scotch Bonnet peppers.
However, I would give the marinade ago, as you will be surprised how easy it is to make and store for next time.
I also highly recommend using chicken thigh pieces because of they a cheaper, tastier and more flavoursome when cooked over the grill. I find breast pieces dry out too quickly, however, use what you prefer.
This is your Jerk Chicken recipe now!
Let’s get cooking!
This Tempeh Rendang Curry is just bursting with veggie flavour. This dish was inspired from my trip in 2015 to Indonesia and my love for...
This is a super easy, crispy chorizo, spicy tomato and chickpea baked eggs. You can make this easily in bulk and store in the freezer to save time in the future.