Jamaican Chickpea Sweet Potato Curry – Vegan
£1.96 per portion!
- 1) Chickpea Curry
- 800 g [2 tins]Chickpeas
- 800 g [2 tins]Coconut Milk
- 2 large [diced]Sweet Potato
- 1 [diced] whiteOnions
- 1 [chopped]Chilli
- 2 [minced] cloves ofGarlic
- 1 inch [diced]Ginger
- 0.5 tspTurmeric
- 1 tspThyme
- 1 tspAllspice
- 1 tspCumin
- 2) Rice & Peas
- 200 gRice
- 400 g [1 tin]Coconut Milk
- 400 g [1 tin]Kidney Beans
- 0.5 large [chopped]Onions
- 1 tspThyme
- 1 [minced] clove ofGarlic
- Calories: 369 kcal
- Protein: 11 g
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbs: 28 g
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Salt: 0.5 g
with rice and peas!
- 1Chickpea Potato Curry
1. Start off by heating oil (coconut is also great!) in a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onions and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, allspice, thyme, chilli and cook for another minute while stirring.
2. Now add the coconut milk, sweet potato and chickpeas (with the liquid) and cook on a low heat for 20-30 minutes. The longer you simmer it, the greater the flavour.
- 2Rice & Peas
1. In a medium-size saucepan with a lid, add the kidney beans (including the liquid), coconut milk, onion, garlic, thyme & seasoning. Add 400ml of water, stir through & then bring to the boil.
2. Then, rinse the rice in a sieve until the water runs clear (4/5 times should do it). Once the Coconut Milk has reached boiling point add the rice, combine well and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- 3Side Salads
I would recommend making a quick cabbage slaw by thinly slicing a red cabbage and add pineapple, black pepper and mint.
Once the rice is cooked, place the curry on top with your side salad and enjoy with a cold Red Stripe!
BIFF, BOSH, CURRY NOSH!
Jamaican chickpea sweet potato curry
Last year, the number one vegan option from the food van was the Jamaican chickpea sweet potato curry.
It’s easy to understand why when the flavour gets better and better over time, it fills and hungry surfer and it tastes so god damn good!
Now, I do love a good Jerk Chicken, but this Caribbean chickpea curry is a close contender for any meat lover.
Coconut chickpea curry, with soft sweet potato in an infusion of Jamaican flavours. Sounds good hey?
Top Tip: Get a good knife sharper as it will make your life so much easier and quicker in the kitchen and cutting the sweet potato.
This is the Electric Sharpener I use and it’s still going strong after 3 years, I couldn’t recommend it enough.
Top 3 sweet potato tips
- Avoid storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator, which will produce a hard centre and off-like taste. Instead, store your sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, well-ventilated container.
- They are a rich source of fibre as well as iron, calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C.
- Sweet potatoes are usually orange but also found in other colours, such as white, red, pink, violet, yellow, and purple.
Leave a comment below as I would love to hear what you think of my recipe.