£0.85 per portion.
You can use butternut or or a pumpkin. I recommend using Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce!
- 1/2 large [2cm pieces]Butternut Squash
- 2 white [roughly chopped]Onions
- 75 mlChipotle
- 8 StreakyBacon
- 400 gChickpeas
- 3 tspPaprika
- 1 [sliced] greenChilli
- 100 ml singleCream
- 1 pintChicken Stock
1. Preheat the oven at 200c. Then, on a medium heat in a large pan, add a glug of olive oil followed by the onions, 2 tsp of paprika, seasoning and the butternut squash pieces (add the chilli seeds for more heat). Combine well and cook for 5 minutes.
2. While you stir the vegetables, add the chicken stock. Lid on and leave on a medium heat for 25 minutes, or until soft.
3. While the veggies cooking, add the drained chickpeas, paprika and black pepper to a tray, followed by the bacon strips. Bang in the oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.
4. Once soft, season well, add the chipotle sauce and blitz using a food processor or handstick. Add more water to meet your desired consistency.
5. Serve hot and garnish with chilli, 2 bacon strips, roasted chickpeas and a dash of single cream!
BIFF, BOSH, COWBOY NOSH!
Cowboy Soup: Butternut squash, smoked chickpeas and bacon!
Bacon strips, roasted paprika chickpeas and a chipotle butternut squash soup. Round up your friends and server up a deliciously simple ‘n’ quick Cowboy Soup!
You’ll love serving this soup for a casual weeknight dinner or a work lunch to warm up those cold winter days.
Get your chuckwagon and feed the family with my other soup recipes such as my classic Perfect Pumpkin Soup recipe.
Top 3 Butternut Squash Facts
- The high levels of potassium found in butternut squash are able to help keep your blood pressure levels in check.
- Carrots are not the only vegetable to help you see in the dark, butternut squash is also high in Vitamin A.
- They belong to the Cucurbitaceae family of field pumpkins; probably originated in the Central American region back in the 1930’s.