Mexican Lasagne | Cripsy, Cheesy & Delicious!
£2.10 per portion
- 1) Mexican Lasagne
- 250 gPork Mince
- 250 gBeef Mince
- 2 [roughly chopped]Peppers
- 2 [chopped]Garlic
- 2 [roughly chopped]Onions
- 2Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 [tin] 400gBlack Beans
- 500 gLasagna Sheets
- 2) Marinade
- 2 tspPaprika
- 1 tspOregano
- 1 [juiced]Lime
- 1 tspCumin
- 1/2 chopped [optional]Chilli
- 0.5 tspCinnamon
- 3) White Sauce/Topping
- 40 gUnsalted Butter
- 40 g Plain or CornFlour
- 400 mlMilk
- 1x 250 g tin ofSweetcorn
- Small bag of plainNachos
- 100 g [grated]Cheese
- Calories: 510 kcal
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbs: 75 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Salt: 1.5 g
Avocado, chill and coriander salad.
200°C oven temperature.
- 1Mexican Lasagne
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and in a large saucepan on a high heat with a splash of olive oil, add your vegetables, seasoning and cook for 5 minutes. Then throw in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Next, chuck in the minced beef/pork and cook until brown. Grab the coriander, chop off the stalks and finely chop them. Add in the coriander, beans and chopped tomatoes in the mix and leave to simmer on a medium-low heat while you make your white sauce. The longer you simmer for, the more flavour is formed.
TIP: Why don't you make chilli on Friday and with enough leftover to make this lasagne on Sunday?
3. For the sauce; melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and combine well. This should make a thick dough-like texture. Then, gradually whisk in the milk to get a smooth sauce. I would add 100ml each time and you will be left with a thick, lump-free white sauce. Finally, add the sweetcorn and seasoning and take off the heat.
4. In your lasagne dish, add the first layer of pasta sheets to cover the bottom, followed by the chilli and another layer of pasta sheets. Repeat until you have about 1-2cm space on the top for your topping! Your last layer should be the pasta sheets.
5. Add the white sauce and top with grated cheese and crumbled nachos. If you want extra crispiness, dust over polenta (it's what is used on sweet potato fries to make them super crispy!).
6. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes in the oven until golden and crispy. Once the lasagne is cooked, let it rest for 15-20 minutes out the oven before slicing it. Why? This will help the lasagne keep its shape and not slop all over the plate. Plate up with a salad and enjoy!
BIFF, BOSH, MEXI-CORN NOSH!
Disfruta tu comida!
This really is the best damn Mexican lasagne out there!
I created this recipe when I was cycling home in the cold and I couldn’t decide whether to have chilli con carne or lasagne… So I decided to have both! Two beautiful dishes become one.
One of the joys of this is that it reheats so wonderfully the following day.
This will get your work colleagues drooling at their desks for sure!
TOP TIP: Once the lasagne is cooked, let it rest for 15-20 minutes out the oven before slicing it. Why? This will help the lasagne keep its shape and not slop all over the plate. Trust me!
Make sure you have a good size oven dish to support the Lasagne, otherwise it will overflow and in all honesty… looks CR*P
Make it Vegetarian; simply replace the mince with courgettes, aubergines and peppers.
Make it Gluten-Free; simply use gluten-free lasagne sheets or butternut squash sheets.
Make it Vegan; simply replace the mince with courgettes, aubergines and peppers. Replace the milk with soya milk and cheese with vegan cheese or a light sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Simple salad; slice the avocado into strips and remove from the skin with a spoon. Then deseed and slice chilli (keep the seeds), roughly chop coriander leaves and add with garden salad leaves. For a Mexican salad dressing, add the juice of 2 limes, turmeric, seasoning, chilli seeds (for heat) and 4 tbsp of olive oil and stir well. Enjoy!
Give the Mexican lasagne a bash this weekend and seriously impress your friends, family and yourself.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me as I will be more than happy to help you create this wonderful and hearty dish!